Wings aren’t made from buffaloes, so why do they have to be made from chickens? Well, they don’t and I’ll show you an incredibly tasty option that is easy and budget friendly.
Slice firm tofu into perfectly bite-sized chunks. Tofu is a food item made from coagulated soy milk that is pressed into blocks. As you may have guessed, firm tofu is pressed more firmly and gives it the ability to hold its shape. This is vegan friendly and also quite delicious when prepared correctly.
Next, create a batter that is going to coat each piece of sliced tofu. Our batter uses flour, corn starch, garlic powder, salt, pepper and almond milk for the liquid. The finished product should resemble pancake batter, which is the consistency you’re looking for. Make the batter too thin and it will slide right off the chunks of tofu.
Heat vegetable oil to 350 degrees and slowly dip the tofu covered in batter one at a time. Don’t overcrowd the frying tofu or you may end up having them stick together.
Pro tip! Slide the tofu slowly into the hot oil so the tip of the tofu starts cooking in the oil for a second. This prevents splashing of the oil and will make the whole process easier.
After about a minute or two, you will have a golden brown tofu nugget. This creates the perfect fake chicken nugget (or McNugget). Add some Frank’s Wing Sauce or you’re favorite buffalo style wing sauce to finish the faux wings. And, you’ll feel better about yourself knowing that no buffaloes or chickens were harmed in the filming of this program!
For best results, dip these wings in our vegan blue cheese dressing.
In the featured photo, we used the vegan buffalo wings in a sandwich using Greek pita bread. I cannot emphasize enough how delicious this was and will make you realize you waited to long to make this meal!
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for extra heat)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 package firm tofu sliced into nuggets
- 3-4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Frank's RedHot Wings sauce
- Slice firm tofu into bite-sized chunks
- Add dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir together
- Add almond milk and mix to create batter
- Dip tofu nuggets into batter and coat generously
- Fry each piece in 350 degree oil until golden brown
- Coat with Frank's RedHot Wings sauce or your favorite buffalo wing sauce